Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

week forty two

Oops, it is already Monday evening. I totally forgot to schedule this post...

The past week was pretty uneventful and I don't have that many exciting photos to share. Mostly I was busy with my BYW Boot Camp class, still enjoying it and bouncing ideas around my head to make this blog more fun to read for you. My biggest problem is my time management and lack of focus lately, I always get sidetracked and then never return to what I was doing. THAT has to change and I know I CAN change it because at work I am very organized so I should be able to translate that into my personal life as well...

Do you see the band-aid aka flesh colored mess below that is the old vinyl covering from the Saarinen chair I found on the street. Next step is to make a pattern and start cutting the new fabric. The wooden seat structure and the molded backrest both got a good scrubbing with a water and bleach solution. You never know where the chair had been and also it smelled a bit musty. Also tried out soaking it in water and vinegar as Erin suggested in the comment section on Santa’s post about the different uses of vinegar. Actually Erin mentioned that using vinegar on a damp cloth can remove musty smells from wood furniture but I felt I needed a bit more power hence the soaking. After everything smelled clean and fresh I let it air dry in the sun. Both chair pieces smell fresh like they have never been neglected. Can’t wait to work on the chair again on Thursday!

Have a great week! xx


10 comments:

  1. Did you soak the wooden structure of the chair in vinegar? How did it survive the soak... apparently fine...?

    Those yellow pumpkins are cute and I'd love to taste victory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did soak it in water mixed with vinegar and the let it dry in the sun. It survived fine but I only tried it because we thought we might have to rebuilt that section anyways because of the smell but luckily it worked and I can reuse it.

      Delete
  2. Well, one thing's for sure- that chair is going to be clean as a whistle as they say. What a fun pair of tights- and I like the pumpkins too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's squeaky clean now! The pumpkins now sit if front of our door, have a post lined up about that...

      Delete
  3. I thought those tights were cute cute cute - can't wait to see how you dress them up (or down)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wore the tights yesterday and loved them so much so I am contemplating to get them in another color as well.

      Delete
  4. Oh yay! So glad the vinegar trick worked out! And wow, it needed a full soak? Must've been quite a stench! Glad it all got cleaned out. Can't wait to see what fabric you choose for it! And i love those tights. They are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip with the vinegar and water, it really helped. I chose a chartreuse fabric, love the color.

      Delete
  5. Popping in via BYW:) Love your blog! Your mood board looks great. I couldn't find it here but could see it on the link photo on the BYW forum. Love the hints of orange. I'm still working on mine. Also, love your study space. I've just pinned it to my pinterest board. Hope that's OK with you? x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim, Thanks for stopping by! Posted my mood board on the blog yesterday. Of course you can pin the study space, I'd be honored! Have fun creating your mood board! I sure had fun creating mine...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...